Saturday, February 19, 2005

When in Duluth, Go to the Boat Show

Matt Smith,

No matter how bad things get, they can always get worse.
Unless you die. Then things have pretty much hit bottom.

Bad things that happened to me yesterday include, but were not limited to: being in Duluth, teaching a group of completely unresponsive eighth graders about higher education ("any form of schooling that happens after high school"), not eating breakfast, not having ANY tea (AT ALL), my car not starting in the morning -- probably due to the negative-cold lake effect windchill that came directly from Lake Superior and onto my car, my phone calls to AAA which took me on a whirlwind tour of various forms of hold music, transfers from one state to another ("Where are you calling from again?" and "Is that Duluth, MINNESOTA?"), and a recorded man that asked me repeatedly if I knew about the car insurance AAA has to offer and "Did you know that you can now request emergency road side service ONLINE?" (No, Recorded Man. I didn't know. But could you help me, say, RIGHT NOW?), then the heartache that was having to call AAA yet AGAIN to cancel the service because my car started after work.

So, all sum total, yesterday wasn't what I would call a GOOD day. But I kept comparing it to Sivie's day. No. Really. Check it out. It's a really good read, and it'll make you feel better about your life.

Unless, of course, you too have been wrongfully arrested in North Dakota.

I really can't complain, though. Spending a week in Duluth is funny enough to cover all losses. First off, I was working with Tony (if there were two of him, he'd be called "Twony") and that was funny. Secondly, we were in Duluth. Thirdly, our co-workers were staying in a room with a clock/radio that wanted to take over the world. Add that to a hotel employee who constantly asked everyone if they were going to the boat show and you've got something pretty funny.

But, I can't say I'm looking forward to going back to Duluth. With or without the boat show.

"No, no... we won't go,"
Meredith

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Hi Meredith, a day where I experience car trouble and no access to tea would probably have killed me! You are obviously a strong person!

Glad you're taking me up on the tea challenge! Let me know how you go!

allegri said...

I just have to say that as a native Minnesotan (so cruelly pulled from my humble Duluth home, and placed in Mormonville USA [Salt Lake City, UT that is]) Duluth is indeed infamous for its Boat Shows. I can't wait to go home. . . only 6 MONTHS!!!! And I will be a College freshman at Bethel University in Minneapolis!