Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Jump Up and Down Really Fast

Matt Smith,

There's something to be said about people who work with students in the sixth grade.
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly that is.

I'm working with sixth graders this week. All this week. As in, Monday through Friday. Maybe sixth grade is that precious age where nothing works just right. I've been trying to think back to when I was in the sixth grade.
All I can really remember was that I had bangs.

We're supposed to be getting these kids to "perform" a "theatrical presentation" for the "other classes" in which the students will communicate their views and ideas on bullying prevention. My team lead and I have taken to calling this end-of-the-week sharing session as a Theatrical Cookie. (The idea being, of course, that one can SHARE a cookie.)

Needless to say, bangs or no bangs, I'm having a hard time connecting with these particular kids. Leads me to wonder if -- at some point during the eleventh year of a child's life -- their brains sink to the soles of their feet... and then spends the next 10 years working its way back up. And also, is there some sort of calesthenic exercise that can assist in the process?

Hell.

I don't know.
I'm just the moon.

Luminescently yours,
Meredith

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yes. There is, though it's not active.

Which is more or less the point --

have them all stand up, close their eyes, and imagine their minds are down where their feet are (which shouldn't be hard). Then have them imagine that their minds go even further down into the earth, into rock, deep into rock. Stay there for a bit, talking about ROCK.

then have them imagine that their minds come back up through little tiny pathways, that become stronger and larger as they come to the crust fo the earth, and on into their feet, wherein they discover that they have become TREES, with strsong trunks, deeply grounded and rooted in the earth.

Then have them imagine their minds come up the trunks of trees, on into their branches, up , UP out of their damn feet, and then when it looks like they actually have their brains in their heads, you can have them sit down and do whatever thing you were having them do that they weren't paying attention to.

cheers,

The United Nations