Saturday, February 05, 2005

Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

Matt Smith,

Have you ever googled yourself? (I think that's the first time I've ever used "google" as a verb. Should it be capitalized? Is it a "proper verb?" I don't know. There should be rules about these things.)

Well, if you haven't googled yourself -- stop giggling -- you really should give it a shot. Regardless of whether you believe yourself to have the most boring name on the planet, it's amusing to see what comes up.

My friend, Sivie, recently googled herself. (Don't panic; I wasn't there when she did it. That would just be SICK.) Mind you, when every so often I have to ask Sivie again what her name actually MEANS, she breaks out into a rousing chorus of "Do: A deer, a female deer."

Which, when one writes "do" as such (a syllable in solfege), comes off looking just as sick and twisted as "google."

At any rate (2 1/2 percent!), Sivie's a unique-ish name, and she found some unique-ish results. You'll have to visit her Sivilicious blog to read them.

To make a long story a bit longer, Sivie also discovered she was not only Sivie, but THE Sivie. THE Sivie. How awesome is that? (If you don't know, I'll tell you. It's pretty awesome.)

So I did some "googling" of my own. I'll tell you right off the bat (where did that cliche even COME from? Who thought "off the bat" was a good way to describe starting points? It reminds me of "off your rocker." Which is also a good way to describe starting points. But then, that only works if you're crazy.) that if you go poking your nose around the World Wide Web for "Meredith Kay" or "Botticellophelia," you'll inevitably only come up with my blog. Which would be redundant, I think, because you've already seen my blog. This IS my blog.

HOWEVER, if you go searching merely for "Meredith," you'll get a bushel full of other interesting tidbits. For example:

Meredith College - the largest private women's college in the Southeast

Meredith Corporation - a very large media corporation (so heads up other Meredith fans, "www.meredith.com" is already taken)

Radio Free Meredith - A site I like more for the catchy name than the actual content. It's like, "Meredith doesn't like radio. She just won't stand for it. She's radio-free." Like trans fatty acids.

Chez Merde - Twofold funny. One: my sister -- and this is a longer, more drawn-out and intricate story if you were to be talking to me in person, but on a blog, it's short, I guess -- used to (and, okay, still does) call me "Merde." That's French for "shit." Funny #2: the site name actually translates to www.house-of-shit.org. Holy funny, Batman.

But my FAVORITE has to be this site:

The Meredith Music Festival, which is subtitled "The 14th Meredith." It's really worth a gander (which means "look," but also somehow means "male goose;" who comes up with these?). Reading you'll find clever turns of phrase such as:

"Every little last ticket for The Fourteenth Meredith is now sold."
"Remember how you were sitting around at Meredith last year and you all wished you had brought that one pesky thing?"
"...the idea of an 'Indoor Meredith' was floated and then sunk..."
"Meredith of course couldn't possibly have just a beer tent, no, no, no."
"Meredith started in 1991 when 250 friends had a party in the bush, and it grew from there."
"Yes, The Meredith Gift involves full nudity."

And my personal favorite:

"YES, JK IS RUNNING NUDE FROM LANGWARRIN TO MEREDITH."


....Um. Okay....?

Love,
Meredith

No comments: