Thursday, February 10, 2005

In Which We Learn that Sitcoms Don't Have to be Good to be Entertaining

Let's be honest.
Everyone had a minor television obsession when they were younger.
(Alright, so I still pretty much have one that's hung on since I was 10. But "Law & Order" doesn't count. I'm talking family-oriented sitcom here.)
I'm only slightly embarrassed to say that mine was TGIF.

I LIVED for TGIF.

At the very beginning -- the first years of "Perfect Strangers" and "Full House." During its adolescent years, in which we experienced that odd modern Brady Bunch thing, "Step By Step"," and learned to love Steve Urkel. Even when it was failing, it was funny. (Case in point: "Alien in the Family." Does anyone REMEMBER that show? I swear it existed.)

So, needless to say, I love this site. It brings joy to my life. And it allows me to entertain others with the plethora of useless knowledge that I have collected in my head over the past 22 years.

I guess TGIF shows my youth.

But you see... I don't care.
I'm just going to go back to watching the "Full House" marathon on Nick at Nite now. Right now, it's the one about the television marathon. There's something very "not-to-be-missed" about watching a television marathon that includes a show about a television marathon.

Or perhaps it's one of the signs that the world is coming to an end.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

I like the theory that having fond memories of TGIF shows one's youth.

So that makes *me* youthful since I have fond memories of TGIF. Does it matter those fond memories were derived from watching it with my young son?

Suzanne

John Norton said...

Oh man, I loved Perfect Strangers. That was one of my absolute favorite programs back in the day.

Mags said...

Does anyone remember the short-lived sitcom "Jennifer Slept Here," in which Ann Jillian played a ghost and became some teenage boy's friend slash moral conscience slash comedy relief?

Jay said...

I remember those old TGIF shows too, though I rarely find anyone who will admit to liking them! :)

Matthew said...

Yes, Mags, I remember that show. I think I kinda' liked it, but it was so long ago it's hard to remember. I also remember watching (and liking) a short-lived Eric Idle sitcom called "Nearly Departed", where he was a ghost (or something). Oh, and while we're on the subject of ghostly sitcoms, I should mention that I was a big fan of the 80's sitcom "Down to Earth", where a woman who was knocked down by a trolley - golly! - was brought back to earth to care for a modern family.

Ah, the good old days. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know every generation says this about the next generation's cultural touchstones.. But geez, you certainly had a sludgeheap of televised crud to hypnotize you.

Not that the first-run stuff I had growing up was much better; outside "The Cosby Show", it was all crap.

Even though they were just slightly before my time, the 70s sitcoms like "All in the Family", "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Sanford and Son" are the only ones I bother watching in rerun form these days.

Pigs said...

Okay, I LOVED TGIF. It made my week. I'm with you!