Thursday, May 26, 2005

All I Smell is Soap. And Dirt. Dirt and Soap.

Matt Smith and friends,

Let's all take a moment right now to lift a small paper sample cup of coffee to people who work in industries that do not fully utilize their talents nor their college degrees. Let's slurp very loudly in their general direction, signalling a true appreciation for every retail sale, meal served, or beverage made. Let's cup our hands and sniff, sniff, SNIFF -- let's believe that this really matters. Let's take a 10-minute break or a non-paid lunch that doesn't quite last long enough to digest food. Let's greet people without meaning it. Let's help people feel more appreciated but lose all dignity. Let's search and search and search for other job opportunities, but still get up in the morning while it's still dark.

Let's do all that.

And let's be thankful that we have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and cat litter in the litterbox.

(And by "us," I mean "me." And by "our," I mean "my." And by "thankful," I mean "slightly on edge.")

Chips and salsa,
Meredith

No comments: