Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Egg-a-Mooby-Muffin-Plant

Matt Smith,

I saw you this morning. I'm glad you washed your hair and that you're "clean" now. I washed my bellybutton, so I'm "clean" now too.

I feel so unproductive.
Summer's awfully conducive to that particular feeling, but this summer more than others, I think. I'm home -- I think that has a bit to do with it. Usually I'm packing up to go somewhere and move many of my worldly belongings to another part of the country. This summer I'm staying where I landed. Weird.
I'm working, which isn't altogether that odd, but I'm working at Starbucks, which is never something I wanted to do more than once. What's more, I'm good at it, which makes me wonder if I actually have a brain. Yes, I'm working at several things OTHER than Starbucks (Matt says I'm Jamaican), but nothing's really off the ground yet. Maybe next week when my sell-out, smarmy public speaking position starts and I have to parade around in business attire, I'll feel like I'm doing something. More than likely, I'll just feel like a doofus.

I ate eggplant last night. You've got to wonder (and if you don't wonder, well, then maybe you work at a coffee shop) where eggplant got its name. I suppose it is egg-shaped, in a way, but it's also PURPLE. Eggs, to my knowledge, are not and have never been PURPLE. Maybe somewhere along the line there was a breed of purple-egg-laying chickens, and they found this plant shortly thereafter. And is eggplant a squash? Does it grow above ground? I can't imagine it would be a root. It's too squishy to be a root -- nothing like a carrot or a potato. Although it does go well with both.

I give you the above paragraph as evidence of my lack of productivity, and my lack of brain activity.

Ahoy,
Meredith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meredith,

I didn't see a way to contact you via e-mail, so I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know I frequently read your blog and would like to invite you to the Pittsburgh Blogfest happening on August 11th @ Finnegan's Wake from 5:30 PM onward. I really hope you could join us!

-Mike (from grabass.org and pghbloggers.org)

sewing fanatic said...

meredith-

some info for you...

as for eggplants: they were named for a white-skinned variety (racist namers!). They are a member of the deadly nightshade family (most plants of the family are deadly except for potatoes and tomatoes) which is why they were mostly used for decoration before the turn of the century. eggplants are fruits, but I found out that botanically they are classified as berries. Turkey produces a buttload of them. I don't really like them, which confuses people when I tell them I'm a vegetarian but I don't like eggplant. Most people seem to think that all vegetarians have to like eggplant...I guess I'm breaking one of the cardinal rules of vegitarianism.

as for eggs: you can normally tell what color eggs a chicken will lay by looking at the color of its ears (they match, amazingly). So, if there is a chicken that lays purple eggs, it will have purple ears.

hope this helps.