Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Germs and Worms and Holiday Things

Hi there, Matt Smith.

I think one day I'm going to decorate my house like an elementary school.

I guess I never really thought about it before, but when you get right down to it, I do like a lot of tacky things. For one, I own that ridiculous, fringy, hangy red lamp that I tote around with me. I have a jean jacket that looks like I stole it from DJ Tanner -- pins and bells and whistles and ribbons and all. Definitely straight out of the 80s, and what's more, I actually wear this jacket. Proudly. So many of the things that I own are ugly, and pathetic, and dilapidated... No. Really. It's true.

The great thing is, though, when I add up all those tacky wonderful things, it works somehow. I don't know why that is, but it's true. Take all that beautiful tackiness, and add it all up, and it's just LOVELY. (Or, as my mother would say, "Put it in a barrel and shake it up." Which actually IS something that people say. Honest.)

So... I think Elementary School Decor is definitely the way to go. I could hang finger paintings on the wall, and make strange decorations out of construction paper and glue (all seasonally appropriate, of course -- cats and ghosts for Halloween, wreaths for winter holidays). I could have window clings of obscure things like teddy bears sledding, and hearts with arms and legs. I could hang strings from my ceiling tiles and tie clothespins to the ends of them so I could dangle paper snowflakes and farm animals from them.

It'd be just... grand.

(Don't you think?)

More to come,
Meredith

No comments: